Provost's Past Communications
Provost's Welcome to Spring 2013.
This will be an exciting term at Fresno State. We are celebrating John Welty's 22 years as our President, and assisting the California State University trustees in a search for his successor. We are completing a capital campaign that has raised over $200 million, primarily to support academic programs. We will be welcoming Susan Elrod as the new Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, and Angel Sanchez as the new Director of the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. We will continue our search for 55 new tenure-track faculty, across 39 different disciplines, who will join us in fall 2013.
Student success is our highest priority, and I want to feature three exceptional current initiatives in that connection:
1. Our Course Redesign Academy, administered by Professor Rudy Sanchez and offered by the Office of Technology Innovations in Learning and Teaching (TILT) will continue this coming summer, in response to strong faculty demand. The Academy assists faculty who would like to use technology to help students become more engaged with course material and meet rigorous standards more effectively. Our pilot redesign program focused on eight courses, and resulted in passing grades for nearly 600 more students than would have passed prior to the redesign. We hope to have completed the redesign of thirty additional courses by summer's end.
2. Our Supplemental Instruction (SI) program, administered by Tosha Giuffrida in the Division of Student Affairs, offers free weekly study sessions for students enrolled in specific courses. Students who participated in SI have earned final grades more than one full grade point higher than those who did not participate. I am encouraging all faculty to consider providing SI in their classes.
3. Our Writing Across the Curriculum program, administered by Professor Asao Inoue, will continue to offer resources, advice, colloquia, and seminars for faculty teaching writing at Fresno State. This spring we will unveil a new Self-Paced Online Tutorial (SPOT) for students preparing to fulfill the Upper Division Writing Requirement. SPOT will be free, fully online, accessible at any time of day, and engineered to allow for completion in as little as one month or as many as six months.
Distinctive collaborative faculty initiatives will continue through the spring. The Literatures, Arts, and Cultures of the Americas (LACA) faculty will continue to present colloquia that explore cultural productions, practices, and traditions representing the rich diversity of the Americas. This spring, the LACA Laureate will be acclaimed writer Dorothy Allison, who has received--among many honors--the Robert Penn Warren Award for Fiction.
Other faculty collaboratives--focusing on World Cultures and Globalization, Urban and Regional Transformation, and Physical, Psychological, and Environmental Health---are working on research, teaching, and special events that address a wide range of topics: sustainability in a global context, the development of Fresno State as a training site for Fulbright Scholars, approaches to "Smart Growth" in the Central Valley, new approaches to understanding autism, a comprehensive, GIS-assisted inventory of health and environmental data for the Central Valley, approaches to increasing physical activity and improving the health of school-age children, and the development of a new online Master's degree in Water Resource Management.
And of course, the spring semester will feature another vibrant season of music, dance, and theater productions.
Please explore the web pages that describe our eight exceptional schools and colleges, great library, offices and programs, centers and institutes, and projects and initiatives. They demonstrate our dedication to
- student success;
- transformational teaching, learning, and research;
- intellectual and cultural diversity; and
- engagement with the challenges and opportunities that define the Central California region.
We're looking forward to a great Spring at Fresno State.
Budget Information Session - October 8, 2012
View a pdf version of the Budget Information Session slides.
Provost's Fall Address - August 17, 2012
View a pdf version of the Provost's Fall Address.
Spring 2012 Address - January 11, 2012
View a pdf version of Provost Covino's Spring 2012 address here.