Power outages can occur due to the fragile electrical infrastructure, rolling blackouts, extreme weather conditions, or can accompany other disasters such as earthquakes.
If the power goes out:
- Remain calm.
- Turn off and unplug appliances and computers. Leave one light on to indicate when power has been restored.
- Follow instructions from emergency personnel or building safety coordinator.
- Watch and listen for campus wide updates.
- IF there is anyone in your class/office/building who is in danger or needs special assistance, notify Fresno State Police at 559.278.8400 or call 911 from campus phones.
- Do not use elevators.
- If there is still daylight during normal working hours: use your best judgment to determine if it is safe to continue work /teaching in progress. Check to make sure that there is no damage to the building before deciding to stay. Watch/listen for campus wide updates and further instructions. Consult with yourdepartment supervisor or building safety coordinator, unless you were told otherwise by Fresno State Police or Facilities.
- If it is after dark and you feel unsafe: evacuate the building and do not reenter until Facilities or the Police Department has authorized you to do so. If there are exterior lights, gather in the evacuation assembly point and await further instruction. If there is no external lighting, leave the campus.
- The President/designee will determine if specific building(s) or the entire campus will close. Watch/listen for campus wide communications and/or messages from your direct supervisor.
- Turn off electrical equipment and heat sources that may turn on automatically (printers, copiers, hot plates, toaster ovens, etc.) to prevent damage when power returns.
- If a traffic signal is not working, treat it as a stop sign.