Welcome to the University Advising Center!
Your journey begins here! We support all undergraduate students.
“The mission of the University Advising Center is to empower undergraduate students by helping them take responsibility for achieving their academic and personal goals, with a particular focus on the undeclared /undecided student, and to support the university advising community.”
Fresno State places academic advising within the teaching and learning mission of the institution and recognizes it to be a critical component of students’ educational experience and undergraduate success. Professional staff promotes academic advising as a shared responsibility with students. Academic advising serves to inform, develop, and enhance academic skills to enrich students’ educational plans in ways that are consistent with their personal values, goals, and career plans, preparing them for a life of learning in a global society.
Academic Advising for Students
The University Advising Center is the centralized academic advising home for all undeclared, exploratory students and students in transition between majors at Fresno State. We assist students with major exploration, college transitions, academic recovery and success, student academic petitions and appeals.
Advising Services for Schools and Colleges
The University Advising Center coordinates campus-wide advisor training and best practices to determine the best possible success strategies for addressing academic concerns and student success. In collaboration with all major departments, schools, and colleges at Fresno State the University Advising Center promotes a seamless transition for students entering the university and transitioning between academic majors.
Advisors are available for currently attending or returning Fresno State undergraduates. We can help you with:
- General Education
- Probation and disqualification
- Major exploration (help for undeclared/undecided students)
- Class registration
- Academic petitions
- Special majors
For information about Fresno State's mandatory advising requirements, click here.
HOW TO CONTACT US
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT with an academic advisor:
- Call 559.278.1787, OR
- Drop by Joyal Administration, Room 224 (second floor, across from Financial Aid).
To answer questions of an immediate concern drop-in advising is available for brief 15 minute appointments. (Based on counselor availability)
(Monday through Friday 9-11 a.m. and 1:30-4 p.m.)
- No appointment needed on Wednesdays
- Hours: 9–11 a.m. and 1:30–4 p.m. during the academic year
- Brief (10-15 minute) advising sessions with an academic counselor.
Summer Walk-In Wednesday hours: 8–11 a.m. and 1–2:30 p.m.
Click here to chat with an Academic Counselor.
If you are in need of advising specific to your MAJOR, please contact your major department.
- If you have attended Fresno State in the past, please make an appointment with an academic counselor.
- If you have attended other institutions since you were last here, bring copies of those transcripts if you have them (even unofficial ones).
- If you have never attended Fresno State but have been formally admitted for an upcoming semester, you will need to attend DOG DAYS: New Student Orientation before you may speak with one of our advisors. After attending Dog Days, you are welcome to meet with an advisor.
- If you have never attended Fresno State and have not been formally admitted to the university, please contact University Outreach Services.
HOW TO FIND US
University Advising Center
Student Success Services
Joyal Administration Building, Room 224
5150 North Maple Avenue M/S JA 62
Fresno California 93740-8026
We are located in the Joyal Administration Building, Room 224, near the corner of Maple and Shaw Avenues. (See campus map. Short-term parking is available in the area south of the Smittcamp Alumni House.)
You can also buy a $3 permit for the day and park in any student lot.
Office hours during the academic year are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
Summer hours (late May to early August) are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.